Re: Why <FONT FACE> is bad for i18n

From: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 10:05:08 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
À 15:05 05-02-97 +0100, Chris Lilley a écrit :
>This is excellent, well argued and presented. It expands very nicely
>on the point I made more briefly at the Sevilla symposium and in
>subsequent talks.

Yes, your Sevilla speech certainly both motivated and inspired this page.

>Also, there is nothing wrong, per se, with using fonts on the Web to
>produce multilingual content; indeed, it is to be encouraged, if done
>correctly.

Probably I was not clear enough.  Of course using fonts is the way to go,
I'm not advocating inline images!  It's simplistic font mapping,
disregarding proper character encoding, that I am after.

I think your suggestion neatly clarifies things and is indeed more upbeat;
adopted.

>     If you think you are doing some language community a service
>     by making up fonts and using them as described above to publish
>     on the Web, please think again. Consider instead keeping your
>     bytes, characters and glyphs as separate things:
>
>     - use an appropriate charset for your document, such as UTF-8
>     - make sure that numeric character references refer to the
>       Unicode code points
>     - use stylesheets to apply your free fonts to the appropriate
>       characters automatically.

Regards,
--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>