Re: Translations

From: Drazen Kacar <Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 21:48:16 +0100 (MET)
To: carrasco@innet.lu (M.T. Carrasco Benitez)
Cc: www-international@www10.w3.org
M.T. Carrasco Benitez wrote:

Transparent negotiation draft was explaining some basic things, last time
I checked it.

> The user should be able to say my "language preference list" is
>  Spanish, English, French

If the server has:

text/html;              q=1.0; lang=en
text/plain;             q=0.5; lang=fr
application/postscript; q=1.0; lang=it

If the user sends "accept-language: fr, en, it", what should the server send?

> > What would you expect the server to do when receiving a "preference
> > list without quantification"?
>
> Just to look to see which document is available in this order.

And how do you select MIME type without q factors?

> Yes, but even if the client does not transmit Accept-Language, the server
> should respond with the list of available linguistic versions.  As the
> Content-Language is for the languages in the transmited doc, this must be
> in another header, such as Alternate.

See transparent negotiation draft.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.