Re: Accept-Charset support

Larry Masinter wrote:
> # If there is a need for a client to express "I can understand UTF-8,
> # but can only display some of the 10646 characters: ..." - and I
> # definitely think there is such a need - I don not see a way to implement
> # this cleanly.
>
> I think this kind of communication is along the same lines as: "I can
> implement all of HTML 3.5 tables, except I don't know anything about
> the 'border' parameter".

I don't think it's the same category. If I requested a page which is
available in Japanese only, I'd be much happier with 406 response and
a short message (preferably in one of the languages I put in accept-language)
describing the situation than 200 response with a page in Japanese.

The problem with 406 in this situation is that some charsets are completely
unreadable to a given person and some are not. If I requested something
in Esperanto (iso-8859-3, which I didn't put in accept-charset), I'd
prefere 200 response.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr