Re: charset issues

From: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:42:12 +0200
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
At 09:27 06/12/96 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:
>How can a client 'accept all charsets'? Well, let's make sure that
>'all charsets' isn't an infinite set. We should limit charsets to
>those that are registered with IANA, we should make sure there's some
>kind of well-known transliteration service/table/applet that can be
>dynamically downloaded for charset-to-UTF8 or charset-to-font for new
>ones.

Since the browser should use UCS as the reference character set, then a
character set is just a simple translate table or applet. As long as they
are accessible to the browser, the charset can be accepted. But just as
easy, and much more conveniently, the server can translate to UTF-8.

UTF-8 is the transmission code, not the code the browser is supposed to be
working with, which is UCS. So we need charset to UCS translation, not
charset to UTF-8.

--

Jonathan Rosenne
JR Consulting