Re: charset issues

From: Albert Lunde <Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:22:50 -0600 (CST)
To: www-international@w3.org
> Pragmatically,  I would like to see the responsibility on server managers to
> ensure that the stuff they store is strictly UTF-8 or 8859-x,  recognising

I think this would fall down badly for Japan, where the pre-existing
document base and national standard aren't 8859-x. (Very loosely speaking,
what seems to be dominant are Shift-JIS,JIS, and EUC, which are more
or less, alternate encodings of the JIS character set in one revision or
another.)

And while UTF-8 is nice, I can see arguments for a 16 bit encoding.

Anyway, I don't care what they store so much as what they send over the wire.

I think getting real support for ISO 10646 is more important than
stamping out goofy charsets/encodings. (Although screwing up the
numeric character references because one is only using a goofy encoding
does annoy me, because it destroys interoperability with
systems that do it per the specs.) ISO 10646 will assimilate
all other character sets ;)

--
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu