Re: Accept-Charset support

From: Jim Saunders <wjs@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 11:33:10 -0800
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
CC: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>, Alan Barrett/DUB/Lotus <Alan_Barrett/DUB/Lotus.LOTUSINT@crd.lotus.com>, www-international <www-international@w3.org>, bobj <bobj@netscape.com>, Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, Ed Batutis/CAM /Lotus <Ed_Batutis/CAM/Lotus@crd.lotus.com>
> So in practice, I could see the following solutions for
> Accept-Charset:
> - Send UTF-8 if you can accept it, and nothing else.
> - Send UTF-8 and/or a careful selection of class (2)
>         "charset"s.

This was the conclusion that we had arrived at. And we actually inquired
about  the possibility of sending "Accept-Charset=UTF8,*" prior to this
tread starting.

We would still very much like to see a solution which allows us to
indicate that we  both handle, and **prefer** a particular charset (eg:
UTF8). We do not wish to be in the situation  where we need to enumerate
all charsets, or cause a round-trip to the server. We are open to any
solutions which fulfill these two requirements; currently using
"Accept-Charset=encoding, encoding,*" would seem to be the most elegent.
I have not heard any convincing reasons as to why we would not want to
allow this, except that it is not in the current draft?

Jim Saunders Senior Software Engineer, Internationalization
(415) 937-4274 mailto:wjs@netscape.com,  about:wjs
Netscape Communications Corporation,      Fax:  (415) 428-4058
685 East Middlefield Road, Mountain View, CA  94043