Re: Y diaeresis (Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets)

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 09:39:49 +0100
To: murray@spyglass.com (Murray Altheim)
cc: Daniel.Glazman@der.edfgdf.fr (Daniel Glazman), Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>, www-international@w3.org
Oops - I didn't see the case difference. My info was only for the
character within the word, not at the beginning.

Amusing story: On one occasion, there was this charset experts' meeting
in Paris, where the French delegate shouts for about the 300th time
that there are no accents on uppercase letters.

The delegate who told me the story looks out the window and watches
the all-caps neon sign on the building next door - WITH accents.

But if we consider all-caps to be a typographical style, and upper case
as something that occurs only at the beginning of words, I suppose it
doesn't matter.

                  Harald T. Alvestrand