Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 11:24:36 -0800
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>, "www-international" <www-international@w3.org>, "Unicode" <unicode@unicode.org>, "Walter Ian Kaye" <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> And you can find about 50 of 'em listed in a <table> at:
> <http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>.

This is the most legible table I've seen. But only three non-Latin1
entity names. And Ydieresis is marked as unavailable on the Windows
platform -- invalid typographers might find this confusing.

Would a table this legible with Unicode equivalents for non-Latin1
ISO8879 entity names give UA makers impetus to implement some of them?
I haven't found any reference that equates entity names with Unicode
(except for Latin1).

> A florin is the curly-descender f like you see in mathematical
>  f(x).

I believe the 'f' you refer to is simply an italic f, used to indicate
some function. A second function is 'g', etc., as in f(ƒ) + g(Ÿ) = 23
guilders. (Solve for ƒ)

> We Mac users...

Most folks crave a sense of belonging. ;)

> Hmm, that high-bit character I just typed will probably not
> look right in everyone's email... ;)

That high-bit character is transmitted as #159, referred to in your
table as "unused (truly!)". Windows users will see it as Y diarrheasis,
a non-existent character.

David Perrell