Re: dynamic language switching

From: Jurgen Bettels <jbettels@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:23:02 +0100
To: bobj@netscape.com
CC: wjs@netscape.com, Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, erik@netscape.com, www-international@w3.org
I seem to be hearing a number of distinctly different cases
described in this discussion:

1. software packaging to simplify licencing
2. switch of language at boot time (Misha's "hot desk")
3. switch of language at application startup
4. switch of content (including applets) on the fly

I see points 1-3 as merely a question of architecting and
packaging. Point 4 might have some interesting ramifications.

I personally believe that there is a need for 4. Jim's examples
of publically accessible terminals are very valid. I use them
in Switzerland all the time: the ATMs at the banks. When I stick
my card into the machine it switches to the language which I have
programmed my card to.

Jürgen.