Re: "Internationalized" class attributes

From: Martin J Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:58:12 +0100 (MET)
To: bbos@mygale.inria.fr (Bert Bos)
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Bert Bos wrote:

>Btw. I've got a related question, again about upper- and lowercase,
>but now equivalence or ambiguity is not the problem. I'm looking for
>tables that give case mappings for all languages (those that have
>upper/lower anyway). This is for implementing the CSS1 property
>text-transform, which is used for such things as putting a heading in
>uppercase.

I guess the standard work headed by Keld Simonsen, and the data
he keps on his servers, will be very helpful.

As a little warning, title casing is not such an easy thing.
There are examples of (recent, politically correct) German practice
where some characters go to lower case when a phrase/title as a whole
is put in upper case.

>How many languages are represented on this list, btw?

What do you mean by "represented"? Mother tongue, fluency, or what?

Regards,	Martin.