Re: A character is in the eye of the beholder

From: <lee@sq.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 96 11:43:05 EDT
To: keld@dkuug.dk, mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com, www-international@w3.org
Cc: J.Larmouth@iti.salford.ac.uk, rosenne@NetVision.net.il
> From w3.org!www-international-request Fri Oct 25 01:58:59 1996
> So I would rather recommend that we do not mix language
> and the locale, but that we introduce a locale facility in HTTP.

And abandon the idea of having multiple languages within a single
document?  That seems a big price to pay.

The locale model assumes that you are not in a multilingual environment.
For example, it provides an upper->lower case mapping, but in i18n HTML
you might need so use several different upper/lower mappings in a single
document.

It's an easy way out because it makes the problem seem manageable.
Let's bring up cardboard cutouts of children to reduce food costs :-)

Lee

--
Liam Quin, lee@sq.com         | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
Senior Technical Consultant   | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows