Re: A character is in the eye of the beholder

Martin Bryan wrote:
> When SC18/WG8 looked into sorting for ISO/IEC 10179 we came across a number
> of problems that prevented us from adopting a common algorithm ...

> If SC22/WG20 can come up with an ordering that can be accepted by all
> dictionary producers as an internationally agreed standard I can assure you
> that SC18/WG8 will be only too glad to adopt it, but at present our
> community, the publishing world, cannot agree on a standardized ordering of
> accented characters

I would like to add another problem preventing a useful international
standard on ordering: For a multilingual document which has Hebrew as
it's base language, the ordering of the index would have Hebrew
preceding other scripts. I suppose the parallel would apply to a
document which has Greek or Arabic as base language. The proposed
standard has the Latin script first, which may well be fine for a CEN or
ANSI standard, but I don't think it is apropriate for an ISO standard.

--
Jonathan Rosenne
JR Consulting