Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes

From: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 00:27:12 +0300
To: WWW-International List <www-international@w3.org>
CC: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
> I would rather that you did not normalize, but made a case-independent,
> or case-and-accent-independent comparison

I suggest doing a case sensitive "canonization": Where two
representations are possible, convert to a single one. For example,
convert a letter followed by a diacritic to the composed form if such a
form exists (or vice versa), convert presentation characters to their
base characters, convert wide characters to standard form, etc. and then
do the comparison.

If I am using software which properly supports European languages, I
have no control over the character coding although it would be safe to
assume it would use precomposed characters, at least for those which
were standardized when the software was written. But if I use software
that does not support European languages, for example American, East
Asian or Israeli software, I would have to type composite characters and
the system would not compose them. Since we are discussing an
international environment, we do not know where the user is and what
software he is using and we cannot assume it will follow European
conventions.

--
Jonathan Rosenne
JR Consulting