Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:53:26 +0200
To: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>, WWW-International List <www-international@w3.org>
Chris Lilley writes:

> On Oct 17,  8:37pm, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
> > I would rather that you did not normalize, but made a case-independent,
> > or case-and-accent-independent comparison,
> Sorry, could you eplain how a case-independent comparison differs from case
> folding (or normalization) ?

My understanding of normalization is that you convert a string to
a normalized representation, by for example converting all upper case
characters to lower case. When doing case-independent comparison
you compare the two strings by finding weights for each
character in the strings and then comparing the weights.

You may say that the weights are a kind of normalization, and
implementations may actually convert the strings into weight strings
for more efficient comparison.

The weights are then on one level equal for all accented variants
of a base letter, or on another level equal for all letters with the
same base letterr and a certain accent regardless of case.
> > for example using the functions and tables of the forthcoming ISO
> > sorting standard ISO/IEC 14651.
> Thanks for the reference. Are these tables available online?

You can get the latest version (at CD registration stage) in

There are tables in there, but maybe not so eaisly usable.
A set of POSIX locales are available in ftp://dkuug.dk/i18n/WG15-collection/