Re: LANG= for character-mapping

From: David Goldsmith <goldsmith@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 15:30:31 -0700
To: "Hans van Mourik" <MOURIK@rullet.LeidenUniv.nl>, <www-international@w3.org>
>Do we have to publish it in Unicode instead then? -- ie. let most
>browsers just break and wait for the *perfect browser* to come along.
>I don't think so.

Actually, I believe the situation is closer to the reverse: I don't know
any browsers which will switch character sets in the middle of a page,
but both Netscape and Microsoft's browsers will be supporting Unicode in
their next versions, based on what I've heard. Microsoft has already
demonstrated this capability in theirs. Other browsers will be doing so
too, I believe.

You are more likely to see browsers supporting Unicode before they
support charset switching, so I'd recommend publishing your pages that
way.

David Goldsmith
International Software Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.