Re: Internationalization and URLs

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 05:42:27 GMT
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Cc: www-international@w3.org
>> Don't type in the c-cedilla, type in an encoded representation of it
>> (which is what would be sent down the wire).
>
>I think you're suggesting that newspapers should print "Franc,ois" and
>those who do not have c-cedilla on their keyboard should know how to
>translate such a thing into the appropriate %xx code.  Is this really
>a reasonable suggestion?

I am actually suggesting that newspapers etc. print the URL with the
%XX form, if they want to represent the canonical URL.

>We've been going back and forth about this on the "www-international"
>list. I don't think I'm making a lot of headway making myself
>understood, though.

I understand what you mean: a URL (Uniform) should have a *single*
canonical form. I agree, but to me that does not mean that the problem
is impossible to solve, but rather that the single canonical form
needs to be clearly defined.

Mapping to/from that form is a different thing altogether, and having
canonical form does not mean that this should be disallowed.

That is the extra layer I talk about.