Re: Using unicode or MBCS characters in forms

Jake Harris wrote:

> Is it possible to post (for example) Kanji characters using
> an HTML form?

Sure. Try Netscape Navigator 1.1 or greater at the URL

  http://home.impress.co.jp/magazine/inetmag/wwwnavi/

This is a search engine, in case you don't read Japanese.

> Can you use cgi/wincgi/nsapi/isapi scripts to
> read this localized input?

The languages and scripts need to be able to deal with multi-byte
characters.

> What software would you recommend for web transactions that
> contain unicode or MBCS data?

Unicode isn't used very much yet (if at all), but MBCSs like Shift-JIS,
EUC-JP, EUC-KR and so on are used a lot. Stateful charsets like
iso-2022-jp are also used. I would recommend Netscape Navigator for the
client side, and Netscape's servers on the server side.

Erik