Re: qa-no-language needs update

On 07/02/2015 07:06, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language still says:
>
> “For example, because the XHTML DTDs define xml:lang in such a way that
> an empty string value for the xml:lang attribute is disallowed, you
> can't use the empty string in XHTML.
>
> “Implications for XHTML/HTML For XHTML and HTML you should use und if
> you need to express the undefined nature of some text embedded in a
> document, because (as mentioned above) xml:lang="" is not allowed.”
>
> That was the case for HTML 4 and XHTML 1; but became irrelevant with HTML5.
>
> HTML5 (or HTML for short) explicitely allows the empty string: “[The
> lang attribute’s] value must be a valid BCP 47 language tag, or the
> empty string.”
> [http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/dom.html#the-lang-and-xml:lang-attributes]
>

> The article should cover the current situation (i.e. HTML5) and mention
> the past (HTML 4 and XHTML 1) in a side note.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this, Gunnar.

I have prepared a new version of the article at

http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language-alt

If i hear no objections or other feedback, I'll switch the new version
with the old one after our i18n teleconference on Thursday, and tag the
translations as out of date.

cheers,
ri