Re: qa-byte-order-mark + qa-utf8-bom

Hi Gunnar,

Your mail today brought this thread to the top of my inbox. I don't
think I've seen this or the following email - probably because a lot of
your emails were going into my spam folder at one point recently, and
when I rescued them I didn't spot all of them in my huge inbox flood.

See comments below...

On 15/01/2014 10:12, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> AFAIS, the previous version of qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark
> (BOM) in HTML” and the late qa-utf8-bom “Display problems caused by the
> UTF-8 BOM” have become the content of just one article: the current
> qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark (BOM) in HTML”.
>
> There are some problems:
>
> (1) The same content is available under two different URIs
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark and
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom which is not good.
> It shold be a redirect from qa-utf8-bom to qa-byte-order-mark with HTTP
> status code 301 Moved Permanently.

Yes. I had a play with the server settings but couldn't figure out how
to make it work. I'll ask one of the systems team.

> (2) The article appears twice in the article list
> http://www.w3.org/International/articlelist#characters under different
> names.

Now fixed.

> (3) Translations of qa-utf8-bom are lost. The link “Display problems
> caused by the UTF-8 BOM” leads to the content of “The byte-order mark
> (BOM) in HTML” for all translations, but there are no display problems
> featured in the article since translations of qa-byte-order-mark have
> only the original content.
>
> The temporarily best solution might be to reinstall the translations of
> qa-utf8-bom [1] and to set up a redirect just for the English version,
> i.e. from qa-utf8-bom.en(.php) to qa-byte-order-mark.en(.php).
>
> When translations of qa-byte-order-mark will be updated [2], set up a
> redirect for those languages as well.

I don't want to do this, since there were important changes to the
content of each of the original sources.  An announcement went out
asking for translators to revisit the document many months ago
(http://www.w3.org/blog/International/2013/02/01/updated-article/) but,
as usual, no reply. Really, after a few months with no reply, I should
have removed the translations completely. I intend to do that now. (When
I install your new German translation.)

Thanks,
RI