Re: Clarification of CharMod C045

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:15:54 -0400
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: www-i18n-comments@w3.org
Hi, Martin-

"Martin J. Dürst" wrote (on 10/29/09 10:19 PM):
> On 2009/10/30 5:59, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> Hi, Folks-
>>
>> While reviewing DOM3 Events, Richard Ishida pointed out that the use of
>> surrogate pairs in escaped character strings is frowned upon, citing
>> C045 [1]:
>>
>> [[
>> C045 [S] Whenever specifications define character escapes that allow the
>> representation of characters using a number, the number MUST represent
>> the Unicode code point of the character and SHOULD be in hexadecimal
>> notation.
>> ]]
>>
>> While I now understand and agree with his point, I think a clarifying
>> errata might benefit people like me who want to be good citizens but
>> might not get the implications immediately.
>
> Can you propose actual text?

Maybe something as simple as "Note that UTF-16 surrogate pairs are
comprised of two separate Unicode code points, for which an appropriate
UTF-32 Unicode code point always exists which SHOULD (MUST?) be used
instead."

But honestly, I would feel more comfortable if someone brainier than me
came up with it.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs