Re: [Comment on WS-I18N WD]

Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Dan Chiba さんは書きました:

>>> I think you draw too broad a conclusion here. I agree that zone
>>> offsets do not fully identify time zones [1]. However, you can't
>>> really say that "zone offsets are not very useful", because there
>>> are plenty of cases in which they are exceedingly useful, such as
>>> the many cases in which one only has an offset and not a full time
>>> zone. To deny a system that has only the offset the ability to
>>> specify it seems foolish, which is why I included that particular
>>> representation originally.
>>>
>> I do think zone offsets are useful in some cases and should be valid.
>> I did not mean to deny a system that can only identify the offset. I
>> meant generally full time zone is preferred to offset alone. (However
>> in reality full time zone identification is often not achieved or
>> supported - web client, calendar, XML schema and ISO 8601, to name a
>> few.)
>>
>> Regards,
>> -Dan
>>> I agree with Frank that the references we used originally are stale.

> not directly a contribution to this thread, but a related question:
> what kind of specificity do you expect from the schema at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-i18n/ws-i18n.xsd
> currently we have
> <xs:element name="locale" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
> <xs:element name="tz" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
> and for i18n:preferences an element / attribute extensibility point.
> Is that enough and should we leave editors to themselves and / or to
> other specs, e.g. if they want to construct adequate date format
> specifications like the one's Dan mentioned?
>
> Felix
My opinion is that the schema should be slightly more specific; #3
language and #4 collation are not based on LDML so there should be
corresponding element definitions.
<xs:element name="language" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
<xs:element name="collation" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
All others are LDML based, so I think think they should be left to LDML.

Regards,
-Dan