Re: [Comment on WS-I18N WD]

Dan Chiba さんは書きました:

>>> Yes I think this is an important note. Zone offsets are not very
>>> useful
>>> because it does not identify a time zone. I think this note implies
>>> using Olson ID is preferred. (for this reason I intentionally put
>>> it
>>> first, switching from the order in the draft).
>>>

>> I think you draw too broad a conclusion here. I agree that zone
>> offsets do not fully identify time zones [1]. However, you can't
>> really say that "zone offsets are not very useful", because there are
>> plenty of cases in which they are exceedingly useful, such as the
>> many cases in which one only has an offset and not a full time zone.
>> To deny a system that has only the offset the ability to specify it
>> seems foolish, which is why I included that particular representation
>> originally.
>>
> I do think zone offsets are useful in some cases and should be valid.
> I did not mean to deny a system that can only identify the offset. I
> meant generally full time zone is preferred to offset alone. (However
> in reality full time zone identification is often not achieved or
> supported - web client, calendar, XML schema and ISO 8601, to name a
> few.)
>
> Regards,
> -Dan
>> I agree with Frank that the references we used originally are stale.
>>

>>> Allowing "Z" would be
>>> also good,

not directly a contribution to this thread, but a related question: what
kind of specificity do you expect from the schema at
http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-i18n/ws-i18n.xsd
currently we have
<xs:element name="locale" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
<xs:element name="tz" type="xs:NMTOKEN"/>
and for i18n:preferences an element / attribute extensibility point. Is
that enough and should we leave editors to themselves and / or to other
specs, e.g. if they want to construct adequate date format
specifications like the one's Dan mentioned?

Felix