Re: Conformance to Unicode 5.0: Troubles on the horizon?

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:00:09 +0900
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, www-i18n-comments@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>

At 11:12 06/09/04, Karl Dubost wrote:

>(PS: Though HTML 4.01 refers to  Unicode 3.0, I wonder if using
>characters from Unicode 4.0 and 5.0 make the document non conformant.)

Sorry, I missed that. Of course not! HTML Internationalization
(first RFC 2070 and later HTML 4.0) was explicitly designed to
cope with the expanding repertoire of Unicode. The SGML declaration
allows all unassigned codepoints, for example. The same applies
to XML, which originally cited Unicode 2.0 or so. That was just
the newest version available, and we didn't distinguish that
carefully yet between dated versions and open-ended citations
then.

So, in short, don't worry, be happy!

Regards,    Martin.