Re: [Comment on xml-i18n-bp WD] CDATA sections

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:23:54 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: www-i18n-comments@w3.org

Martin Duerst wrote:
> Hello Elliotte,
>
> Just a personal comment for the moment:
>
> I think the caution against CDATA sections is motivated by the fact
> that you cannot use numeric character references in CDATA sections.
> This means that unless you use an Unicode encoding for the document,
> there are limitations on the set of characters you can use.

I'd seriously considering adding a suggestion that everyone just use
UTF-8 for XML to this document. It makes so many things so much simpler.

> There was a time when some people claimed that CDATA sections were
> more than syntactic sugar, i.e. something like one more, somewhat
> special, element. In such a kind of use, the i18n concerns were most
> obvious. The fact that CDATA sections don't appear in the
> Infoset and are flattened by XSLT has fortunately let this view
> die out as far as I'm aware of.

Would that it were so. This view has mostly died out within the W3C
specs and among the XML-cognoscenti but I encounter it constantly out in
the field. Many, many developers still attempt to use CDATA sections as
some sort of funky element. :-(