Re: Comment on LTLI WD: purpose?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:18:25 +0200, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:
>>> It's not entirely clear to me what the purpose of having
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-ltli-20060419/ is. It seems to state that
>>> you have to follow RFC 3066bis (or BCP 47, later on the Recommendation
>>> track) in this and that regard and that's basically it. At least,
>>> according to section 3. This same section states:
>>>
>>>    The purpose of the criteria is to provide a stable
>>>    source for requirements for language and locale
>>>    identification.
>>>
>>> ... isn't that what BCP 47 is for?
>>
>> BCP 47 is for language identification. The important bit in ltli will be
>>  the differentiation between language and locale. This will rely mainly
>> on RFC 3066bis.
>
> Wasn't BCP 47 going to be 3066bis? (I was talking about the revised BCP
> 47, sorry for being unclear.)

no problem. Yes, BCP 47 will be 3066bis. But still: 3066bis is not meant
for *locale* identification, although it will have a relation to it. The
example in http://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/#lang-locale-values might make the
difference between language and locale clearer:

[[Example 1: The difference between language and locale

Making the assumption that the language parameter ja-JP (Japanese) means
the user's timezone is "Asia/Tokyo" would be a mistake if the requester
is in Australia.]]

- Felix