Re: Your comments on Character Model Fundamentals [LC076]

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:51:16 +0200
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, www-i18n-comments@w3.org

* Richard Ishida wrote:
>LC076
>http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/SortByOriginator.html#LC076
>Decision: Partially-accepted You are correct that C068 and C069 do
>strictly speaking not belong into the PUA section, but they are in
>that section because they have a very strong connection to the other
>things in that section.

This does not satisfy me, I do not see such a "very strong connection",
the section is about "Private use code points" and should thus only
discuss "Private use code points".

>other than that defined by its character encoding.
>
>This prohibits the construction of fonts that misuse e.g. iso-8859-1
>to represent different scripts, characters, or symbols than what is
>actually encoded in iso-8859-1. >>>>>>>>

It seems you want so talk about "coded character sets" not "character
encodings", if not this new text does not make much sense to me.

I can live with removing C069.