FW: [Moderator Action] Comments on Authoring Techniques

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:17:49 +0100
To: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Benny [mailto:w3@chipple.org]
Sent: 11 May 2004 04:26
To: www-i18n-comments@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Comments on Authoring Techniques

Just a few comments on Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML
Internationalization: Specifying the language of content 1.0. [1]
Sorry if any of these have been mentioned already.

1) For HTML use the lang attribute only, for XHTML 1.0 served as text/html
use the lang and xml:lang attributes, and for XHTML served as XML use the
xml:lang attribute only. [1]

Last paragraph, first word "If" is missing its "I".

2) Use the lang and/or xml:lang attributes around text to indicate any
changes in language. [2]

The second example uses the value "zh-guoyu" for the lang element even
though another section [3] says that "zh-Hans" and "zh-Hant" are preferred
for Chinese since these specify clearly the script instead of the language.
Is there a reason for using "zh-guoyu" instead or was this overlooked?

3) Consider using the hreflang attribute on the a element when pointing to a
resource in another language, and using CSS to indicate the language. [4]

I gave the example below a try and it worked in Mozilla 1.4 and Netscape 7.
I didn't test with Safari or IE5 Mac.

  a[langhref=ja]:after { content:" (Japanese)" }

Best regards,

Patrick Benny