A couple of comments on Authoring Techniques

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:35:21 -0400
To: www-i18n-comments@w3.org

3.2 says "Where practical, declare the page's character encoding by
setting the charset parameter in the HTTP Content-Type header."

I think this should be just the opposite: servers should shut up and let
(X)HTML documents speak for themselves.  Several years' experience has
shown that servers get it wrong much of the time when they bother to set
charset.  Since this setting has precedence, this really breaks the
whole thing.  Please recommend that servers *not* set charset, unless
they have a good reason to do it and actually do it right.

See also the recent thread on the TAG list on this (starting at [1]) as
well as section 4.9.6 of the Web Architecture WD [2]: "In the case of
XML, since it is self-describing, it is good practice to omit the
charset parameter".

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Sep/0042.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031001/#xml-media-types

In 4.1, there's an ed. note that says "Describe the evils of using
want to take a look at my old (1996) rant on this at
http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/html/fontface.html.

--
François