RE: Your comments on the Character Model [C130, C131]

Steven Pemberton wrote:
> With regards C132:
> "Rationale: Steven's example is too HTML-specific, and doesn't match
> with what we say, namely that transcoders don't resolve NCRs."
>
> What is HTML-specific about the example?

It uses HTML (or XML) NCR syntax.

> My example *does* match what you say, because the first
> character gets transcoded (from 0xf5 to 0x0151), and the NCR
> doesn't get transcoded so that the user agent eventually
> gets two 0x0151 characters.

There's the rub: "the user agent eventually gets..."  There is not
necessarily a user agent involved in transcoding.  If there is one, it
eventually gets the second 0x0151 not by transcoding, but by interpreting
the NCR according to rules of the document language at hand (HTML or XML).
We felt it would be confusing to say "Transcoders ... do not deal with
character escapes such as numeric character references ..." (first para of
3.3) and in the next breath show an example where an NCR *does* get
resolved.

> I thought it was a useful example for that very reason, and because it
> is something I regularly have to explain.
>
> You say that you have added an example, but I couldn't find one in the
> draft. Or does it still need to be added?

Oops!  Edit tracking problem here.  The examples (one simple and one
complex) are now done and should be online shortly.

Regards,

--
François Yergeau