Re: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

From: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:13:46 +0100
To: <uri@w3.org>
Cc: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>

 "Larry Masinter" wrote:

> I propose to NOT fold in the IRI definition, but to allow
> it to proceed along standards track at its own pace. The
> revised URI standard can note the IRI work as a separate
> effort.

Larry,

I don't want to pre-empt the IRI experts, but I have a hunch that
giving the URI %HH escapes a formal definition of representing UTF-8
(rather than the present undefined encoding) would help the IRI
activity enormously. My guess is it would leave them free to define a
canonic mapping of IRIs into URIs without requiring any further URI
spec. changes.

If I'm right, would this simple change be out of scope?

Chris Haynes