CHARMOD character escapes

From: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:01:57 +0100
To: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>

I hope its not too late to raise a question about CHARMOD (I'm looking
at the Working Draft of 30 April).

Section 3.7 - Character escapes - contains the paragraph:

[S] Whenever specifications define character escapes that allow the
representation of characters using a number the number SHOULD be in
hexadecimal notation.

I rather expected it to continue:

... and SHOULD represent the Unicode code point of the character.

I wondered if the Reference Preocessing Model (3.5) applied an implied
mandate to use Unicode, but it seems to permit other encodings to be
used, and therefore does not seem to supply the 'default' for 3.7.

Have I missed something?

Chris Haynes