Re: Comments for PR-ruby-20010406

Hello Susan,

Many thanks for your very valuable comments!

I used 'style sheet', as on http://www.w3.org/Style/.

>In A., the file extension for xhtml-ruby-1.mod is ".mod". Just a note that
>even though it is application/xml-dtd, MacIE 5.0 downloaded it as a MOD
>music file. Older MacIEs didn't seem to; I don't know why.
>(http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/formats.html#mod)

This is alligned with XHTML modularization, so we can't change it
easily.

>There are two appendix Cs.

Fixed.

>"B. Notes on design decisions" is missing in the TOC.
>
>In http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-ruby-20010406/style.css:
>     .content {
>         font-family: monospace;
>         color: blue;
>         font-weight: bold;
>     }
>blue is very close to the current W3C TR unvisited link color, #00c.
>(see http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/base.css). Could you use black?

Done. Also removed bold, to bring this closer to XHTML Modularization.

>In http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-ruby-20010406/encodings:
>For reader's convenience
>For readers' convenience (or, For the reader's convenience)

Done.

>Below, a section and paragraph number is followed by a quote and then
>a suggestion.
>
>1. pars. 4 and 5
>Ruby
>ruby

Done.

>1.1 second to last par.
>"...each ruby annotation may be associated with different, but
>     overlapping, parts of the base text..."
>How are the parts "overlapping"? They look distinct. Maybe say
>"adjacent"? Or maybe this means "different, or overlapping."

They are different because they don't start and end at the same
place. They are overlapping because the (partly) cover the
same part of the base. In the example, 'Month' and 'Expiration
Date' are associated with different parts of the base text
(the base text for 'Month' is much shorter), but these base
texts are overlapping.

>3. last par.
>formating
>formatting

Fixed.

>3.1 par. 1
>"...section 3.2 (font size), section 3.3 (positioning), and 3.4
>     (presentation of ruby markup)..."
>"3.4" could be "section 3.4" and link as the other two do (or
>maybe you had a reason why 3.4 is not linked).

Done.

>Helpful as it is, I'm not sure this sentence needs repeating in 3.2
>since it is in 1.1.
>"...In fact, the name "ruby" originated from the name of the 5.5pt
>     font size in British printing, which is about half the 10pt font
>     size commonly used for normal text."

Specs are not always read from start to end. So we decided to have
it in both places.

>3.5 list item 2
>Ruby that represent
>Ruby that represents

Changed to 'Ruby text that represents'

>ruby that contain
>ruby that contains

same as above.

>3.5 par. 2
>detailled (twice)
>detailed

fixed.

>3.5 last par.
>Hiragana
>hiragana

done.

>B. par. 2
>occurence
>occurrence

done.

>C. Notes on backwards compatibility par. 2
>For historical reason
>For historical reasons (or, For a historical reason)

done.

>C. Glossary, Complex ruby markup
>finegrained
>fine-grained (to match the other occurrences)

fixed.

>C. Hiragana and Katakana
>character of that script
>a character of that script (or, characters of that script)

I'm not sure here. My impression was that for definitions,
the style without any article exists. But maybe I'm wrong.

>C. Ideograph
>Character that is used
>A character that is used

done.

>You might consider cutting the change notes if and when you go to
>Recommendation.

Done. But a section 'changes from proposed recommendation'
is still in.

>References, XSL
>et. al.
>et al.