Re: Thoughts on 19980710 drafts, do we need another object standard?

From: <Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:33:20 PDT
To: raz@arrakis.com.AU
cc: www-http-ng-comments@w3.org
Actually, we (at least I, and I think the others involved too) agree with all
you've said.  We say right up front that compatability with CORBA, DCOM, and
Java RMI is intended.  We're trying to come up with a wire protocol that's good
for the WWW *and* a plausible candidate for IIOP 2.0 (which would also imply
that Java RMI could use it).  And that DCOM could plausibly switch to.

The biggest sticking point is the divergence in type systems between CORBA and
DCOM.  I can see two ways of coping with this: (1) create a biggish messyish
type system that's as close to both CORBA's and DCOM's as possible, or (2)
create one that is both simpler (at least, more orthogonal and uniform) and
more powerful than CORBA's and DCOM's.  I can see pros and cons of both
approaches.  I generally favor the latter.