MHTML

From: Jan Tosovsky <j.tosovsky@tiscali.cz>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 21:23:09 +0200
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Dear All,

what is the relation of MHTML to W3?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2557

Is it a standard or it should be considered rather as a proposal?

I can see a big shift of paged media outputs from PDF to HTML+CSS. The
latter consist of several separate files which are not so handy to
distribute. There are several ways how to compact it into a single file. I
can think of:
(1) MHTML
(2) inject CSS directly into HTML and embed all other resources as Base64
encoded objects (images, fonts)
(3) create e-Pub

As the MHTML is widely supported in major browsers/their extensions, I tend
to follow this route for my future projects.

Or is there any W3 way to handle this use case, i.e. HTML+CSS+Resources
container?

Thanks, Jan