Re: ID/Class Names beginning with numbers

From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:58:26 +0000
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, www-html@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> People have just been misled into thinking that old DOCTYPE strings
> specified the "HTML version being used".

In what way have they been misled, Jukka ?  When I insert (e.g.,)

at the top of a web page expressed in HTML, I am making a definite
statement that that is (a) the dialect I have elected to use, and
(b) that is the DTD against which the document should be checked
in the event that someone alleges it contains errors.  I do not
accept that I have been "misled" about its significance; what is
the basis for your assertion ?

Philip Taylor