Re: ID/Class Names beginning with numbers

On 11/27/2013 11:28 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2013-11-27 17:45, Thomas BAYER - Web Alliance wrote:
>
>> I know my question may sound stupid or might have been answered tons of
>> times, but here it is : why on earth can't a ID/Class name begin with a
>> number ?
>
> They can, in HTML5, which is what we mostly discuss on this list. (HTML
> 4 is still the "official" recommendation, but there has been no work on
> it for years.) And here HTML5 reflects browser practices.

This does differ from HTML 4.01.

Agreement with previous HTML versions is probably what accounts for the
definition in the CSS Specifications.

The lack of a versioning mechanism in CSS may be considered a bug or a
feature....

--
     Albert Lunde  albert-lunde@northwestern.edu
                   atlunde@panix.com  (address for personal mail)