Re: ID/Class Names beginning with numbers

From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 16:31:08 +0000
To: Thomas BAYER - Web Alliance <thomas-bayer@web-alliance.fr>, "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

Thomas BAYER - Web Alliance wrote:

> Finally, concerning the impossibility for ID/Class names to contain
> embedded spaces, it seems incompatible with CSS and jQuery selectors, to
> name just a few.

The reasons why they cannot contain embedded (or even trailing) spaces
is clear, and does not need reference to other standards (such as CSS)
even less arbitrary libraries such as Jquery.  But that was not my
question -- I was simply asking if there can exist any justification for
allowing class/ID names to commence with a digit that would not equally
apply to allowing such names to contain spaces; both offer "convenience"
to those that would exploit such features, but little else.

Philip Taylor