Re: Conformance of documents using IDL attributes outside the spec

From: Philip Taylor <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 13:48:44 +0000
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>, www-html@w3.org
Ignoring the HTML 5 aspects of this question (about which
I know too little to comment meaningfully), on what basis
do you believe that including :

> <script>
> document.body.onpaste = function () { alert('No paste!'); return false }
> </script>

in an otherwise-valid HTML document could render it non-
conformant, and similarly on what grounds do you believe
that

> user agents that handle
> onpaste as an event handler [might be] nonconforming

?

Unless I am misunderstanding the whole concept of conformance,
it refers (in this context) to the HTML of which the page is
composed; modifications to the DOM do not affect that HTML,
and therefore a page that was conformant before the script
ran would still be conformant afterwards, would it not ?

Philip Taylor