[css3-images] Last Call Working Draft of CSS Images Values and Replaced Content Level 3

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:00:16 -0800
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org

The CSS WG published a Last Call Working Draft of the CSS3 Image Values and
Replaced Content module:

We believe there is some overlap of interest with HTML, and therefore we'd
appreciate your review of the features therein, particularly of the element()
notation and of the 'image-resolution' and 'image-orientation' properties.

Those interested in layout and sizing might also be interested in the
CSS <-> image size negotiation rules and the 'object-fit' property.

Note that replaced elements in CSS includes not just bitmap images, but
also SVG (external or embedded), video, applets, plugins, and other
"foreign" objects.

This module covers:
   - CSS gradients
   - using media fragments (image slices) in CSS
   - ltr/rtl annotations to images for automatic flipping
   - fallback URLs for images, for gracefully handling unsupported image types
   - element() notation for using an elements' graphical representation as an image
   - CSS <-> image size negotiation
   - 'object-fit' and 'object-position' for controlling aspect ratio preservation
   - 'image-resolution' for using custom or intrinsic image resolutions
   - 'image-orientation' to correct misoriented images

If you have comments on any part of the draft, please, send them to the
<www-style@w3.org> mailing list. Please start a new thread for each issue,
and include [css3-images] in the subject line, as I did on this message.
This will help us track your comments.

The official deadline for comments is 7 February 2012. Let us know if you
need an extension so that we don't miss your comments.