Re: Markup for variable definitions

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:19:15 -0400
To: Křištof Želechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Křištof Želechovski
<giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl> wrote:

> <DT >char *blah <DD >This variable contains lorem ipsum.

> I wonder whether this markup is correct, as the variable type is not part
> of the variable blah, it is a property thereof.  So the DT should contain
> "blah" only.

Jukka K. Korpela already gave the main reason this is OK -- that the
semantics aren't really as strict as you believed.

But for this particular case, the type may well be part of the
variable name -- the only part that distinguishes it from another
object with the same name but a different type.  (This is particularly
common for methods distinguished by parameter types.)

-jJ