Re: bidi embedding for block-level elements

On 7/23/2010 9:51 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/24/10 12:41 AM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>> On 7/23/2010 6:31 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> No, inline elements don't trigger this. Only block elements,
>>> list-items, and table elements. The only way to trigger problems is
>>> to take a ton of block-level elements, make them display:inline, and
>>> nest them.
>> Like insanely nested lists...
>
> Lists are not display:inline by default.  If you take insanely nested
> lists and make them display:inline.... then they become unreadable,
> for the most part.
OK. You've got to work at it.

>> My feeling will be that it will occur so rarely that few people will be
>> able to recognize the real nature when this happens to them.
>
> This is probably true.
>
> Then again, browsers could issue a warning in their consoles when they
> hit the bidi embedding limit and this warning could point out this
> possible source for itself, right?
If the low-level rendering software reports reaching the embedding level
restriction, editing software could make that information available. Not
just for this case, but in general. But the head-room is rather
generous, by design, so the situation is going to be rare. And therefore
not worth adding a feature that needs resources to develop and test...

And besides, if you have dynamic content, who do you send the warning to?

No, you guys have convinced me that relying on the headroom built into
the bidi algorithm in this case isn't as cavalier as it at first
appeared to me.

A./