Re: Inconsistency in HTML 4.01 regarding NBSP

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:14:30 +0200
To: "Aryeh Gregor" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, "Andrey V. Lukyanov" <land@long.yar.ru>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> HTML 4.01 is outdated, and as far as I know, it's no longer
> maintained.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

> The next version of HTML, HTML5, is under active
> development,

There's a lot of chaotic activity under the name "HTML 5".

> and I don't believe it contains the problematic clause
> you quote.  Whitespace handling is well-defined AFAIK

Or maybe it isn't, partly because HTML 5 does not exist even as a draft
_specification_, it's just "working draft". It seems to discuss whitespace
handling under "Common parser idioms", making things rather loose.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/