Re: Inconsistency in HTML 4.01 regarding NBSP

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:05:17 -0500
To: "Andrey V. Lukyanov" <land@long.yar.ru>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Andrey V. Lukyanov <land@long.yar.ru> wrote:
> Section 9.1 (White space) defines white space as four ASCII characters
> and line breaks. No-break space (&#x00A0;) is not included in white
> space definition. The section also states:
>
>>> This specification does not indicate the behavior, rendering or
>
> otherwise, of space characters other than those explicitly identified
> here as white space characters. For this reason, authors should use
> appropriate elements and styles to achieve visual formatting effects
> that involve white space, rather than space characters. <<
>
> It means that behavior and rendering of no-break space are undefined,
> and that no-break spaces are not recommended for use in HTML documents.

HTML 4.01 is outdated, and as far as I know, it's no longer
maintained.  The next version of HTML, HTML5, is under active
development, and I don't believe it contains the problematic clause
you quote.  Whitespace handling is well-defined AFAIK (although it
might be hard to find where, since the spec is hundreds of pages
long).