Re: Missing Functionality: Include

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:17:51 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> Semantic HTML only gets you so far: there are still usually large
> chunks of repeated HTML on every page, for navigation bars and
> so on.

This is annoying from an aesthetic standpoint, but may not matter
except on very limited devices, such as mobile browsers.

> I admittedly haven't benchmarked the actual performance
> difference from a 20% reduction in the size of a fairly large
> HTML page, say -- it might not be too large.

I think this might be somewhat covered by the microscape benchmark.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/microscape/

While the results I read are out of date, I wouldn't be surprised to
discover that the following points still hold:

(a)  Total number of requests often matters more than total number of
bytes.  So splitting something into separate includes may be
counterproductive.  (Thus the yahoo UI libraries come pre-bundled.)
(b)  If the page is slow enough that people notice, getting rid of the
text entirely won't save as much as better compression (or
elimination) of images.

-jJ