Missing Functionality: Include

From: Elliot Jenner <void2258@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 00:14:24 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
Coming from programming languages like C++ and Python, I naturally
expected that it would be similarly simple to move redundant parts of
the page into external files and then include them back in. After
extensive searching, I determined that this basic functionality is
missing from the language, and requires such hefty workarounds as
server-side-scripting or PHP. It should not be necessary to go to a
completely different language to perform such a necessary task,
particularly languages that require the added complication of a web
server just to see if your code is functioning properly, and the added
worry that some servers may not support the scripting.

Am I alone in wishing for a simple <include url('file.html')/> element
or something similar that allows this to be accomplished easily? In my
opinion this is a completely basic function that any language should
have. How did CSS, which was developed later, obtain the <link> tag,
meanwhile the older HTML standard still lacks it? Particularly on a
website, there will always be bits of code that are common to all the
various pages that make it up, for example the navigation and copy
write/contact code.