Re: Fwd: HTML5 and XHTML2 combined (a new approach)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, David Woolley wrote:

> I thought it was one of the key design principles of HTML5 that all
> parsers treat parsing "errors" alike.  That means that, if a DOM based
> parser can recover from an error, all conforming parsers must do so.

No, the key design principle is that if UAs want to recover from errors,
they be required to do so in a well-defined way. However, nothing stops a
tool that parses HTML5 from refusing to handle invalid content, and the
spec explicitly allows this:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#parse-error

HTH,