Http POST and Newlines

From: Dister Kemp <dister.kemp@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:05:34 +0530
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: dister.kemp@gmail.com
Hello Team,

      Greetings ! I am a bit confused if http post data can contain newlines
(CRLF \r\n)
I looked into RFC 2616 got a general understanding of http post but still
not sure if
CRLF in post data is allowed or not.

I have a webservice running on tomcat as a servlet. I have my own client
application
which consumes this webservice. Though locally in my test network (LAN and
via Internet)
the client app works fine, it fails sometimes over the internet. I am
worried if firewalls or
gateways in the internet might drop Http packets which contain CRLF in post
data.

I know I can do URLEncode on the post data, but I want to get an
authoritative answer
saying this is absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Dister