Re: Using the X in XHTML to make hacks work in validators

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:30:57 +0000
To: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
CC: Tei <oscar.vives@gmail.com>, www-html <www-html@w3.org>

Kornel Lesinski wrote:
> If you just want to appease the W3C Validator, then write your own DTD.
>
> I've written one that allows <input type=search>:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//KURS BROWSEHAPPY//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict +
> Hacks//EN" "http://kurs.browsehappy.pl/xhtml.dtd">
> See http://kurs.browsehappy.pl/xhtml.dtd
>
> It's not using the X of XHTML. For HTML it looks almost identical.

In case it's not obvious, this may "validate", but you're no longer
validating XHTML 1.0 Strict.

Compare:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customdtds2/

There's a value in using a custom DTD (or a schema, or anything really)
to enforce your own coding standards.

There seems very little value in "appeas[ing]" the validator as though
it were some sort of deity demanding blood sacrifice.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis