Re: Cleaning House

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:16:08 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Cc: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Jim Jewett wrote:

> > Why does the size of the spec matter?
>
> Because more complicated specs lead to more bugs.

Actually it seems that shorter (vaguer) specs (like CSS2) lead to more
bugs than more detailed, precise specs (like CSS2.1).

> > Surely the benefit to authors far, far outweigh the benefits to the
> > spec community?
>
> Not in this case.
>
> I see some value (at least for future authors) in a simpler language
> specification.  I see very little value in many of the optionally
> omitted tags.

I see great value in allowing for certain tags to be omitted. It makes the
language far easier to write.

> Are there really very many documents which leave out the body tag, but
> are otherwise valid?

I don't have that data. It's hard to draw any conclusions from valid
documents, though, since are so few of them.

> My point is that it really isn't that important whether a comment is at
> the very end of the body, or immediately after the body -- and it so it
> isn't worth a special exception in the element definition.

I disagree, but I suppose it is a matter of opinion.

> Since browsers are already doing error correction on 95%+ of pages
> anyhow, that doesn't even need to affect the way pages are viewed.  It
> just simplifies the model of what it takes to be valid.

It just means that there would be more errors for authors to worry about.