Re: Cleaning House

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Tina Holmboe wrote:
> On 17 Nov, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
> >> Section 3.6 would be much simpler if it didn't have to worry about
> >> optional and implied tags.
> >>
> >> Section 3.8 would almost disappear.
> >
> > Why does the size of the spec matter? Surely the benefit to authors
> > far, far outweigh the benefits to the spec community?
>
> A monolithic specification is less likely to be read. A shorter, to the
> point, specification benefit content and site creators alike.

That's why we're writing an authoring guide.

I think a language that is easy to use plus a friendly authoring guide and
a big spec to make it all happen is better than a language that is
technically simpler but harder to use with a simpler spec.

(I'm also not convinced it would make the spec much simpler.)